According to AP, US Airways and American Airlines have agreed to merge and will create the world’s largest airline. The official announcement is planned for tomorrow morning. Before my phone starts ringing off the hook from my paranoid, frequent flier friends (read: travel junkies) worried about losing their miles and/or wondering if their spring break plane tickets will still be valid, let me just clear the air and say: Relax! Everything will be fine and will remain the same – at least for the short term.
This is what I think will happen:
- The two airlines will operate as two separate airlines for months, maybe even years.
- When they do merge, they will keep American’s name and branding (yes, that new livery paint jos and logo that most seem to dislike.)
- They will keep Dallas as the headquarters but US Airways’ management team will move in and run the company. The US Airways brand would slowly go bye-bye.
- The airline alliance would be OneWorld.
- Your miles in either accounts will be safe. If you have miles in both, eventually they will let you combine them so you will have even more miles.
- Prices will not rise drastically. I think they will probably stay the same except for a few routes where there’s less competition.
With the planned announcement on Valentine’s Day, could this American Airlines and US Airways merger be a match made in heaven?
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.