Today’s tip concerns accessible travel, specifically for wheelchair users, and it comes from Mobility Ventures, makers of “the only purpose-built wheelchair accessible vehicle” (the MV-1). Here are their tips:
- Be sure to allow at least 90 minutes between flights to allow time to deplane—wheelchair users are always the first to board and the last to deplane.
- Protect mobility devices from damage while in flight with a cover (e.g., sleeves for wheelchair frames).
- If you use a removable wheelchair cushion, bring it with you on board the airplane to be sure it is not lost or damaged.
- If you need special assistance, inform the airline gate agent upon check in.
- Accessible space and seats are available on coach, business class and first class train cars. There are two different onboard seating options for passengers traveling with wheeled mobility devices, depending on the type of device.
- There are “accessible rooms” available only for passengers with disabilities. These rooms are available on a first come, first serve basis and should be booked 14 days in advance.
- If you require a companion or an attendant while traveling, check for companion fare or discounted tickets.
- Passengers who use oxygen equipment can bring the equipment onboard trains with certain restrictions.
- Look for a “guaranteed ADA” room when booking.
- Check the room for any barriers at check-in. A room can be ADA compliant but that does not mean that there will not be any mobility barriers.
- If you have difficulty pushing a manual chair, request a room near the elevators or on the first floor.
- Search for taxi or rental companies with MV-1 vehicles on the MV-1 map.
Related: 5 Travel Tips for Autism Families
Want even more travel tips? Sign up here for the Daily Travel Tip newsletter! Just fill in your email address and check the Daily Travel Tip box—and you’ll have Johnny’s best tips, straight to your inbox each day!
If you already subscribe to our weekly newsletter, you can sign up on the same page. Just fill in your email and check the Daily Travel Tip box on the same page and you’ll receive an email with a link to update your Hundredbacklinks.com preferences. On that page, just click the Daily Travel Tip box and Update Profile.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.