A few months ago I became one of Microsoft Windows Champions — I don’t get financial compensation but I do get some cool gadgets for free. It was a no brainer since I’ve been a Microsoft user for the last 17 years, and I can’t imagine staying on top of my work without their software.
A couple of months ago Microsoft sent me a sleek and I got really excited because my beloved Toshiba Satellite Portege was on its last lap. My model has a 13.3 inch screen and is ultra-thin (11.9 mm). It took me a little while to adapt but now I’m a huge believer and love it! Here are the main reasons why:
- It has a full HD display which is so clear and bright that when I went back to my old laptop to transfer some old photos I thought it was unplugged because it was so dimmed. FYI: The pixel resolution is 1,920 x 1,080
- It has a touch-screen so it can be used like an iPad. Perfect for those times you don’t feel like using your keypad or mouse.
- The keyboard auto-illuminates so I can type on a plane in a dark cabin without disturbing my seatmates.
- It has something called Acer TwinAir cooling which makes it easy to hold on your lap. It doesn’t get hot or make any loud fan noises.
- It has a strong battery
- It’s incredibly thin and light
- It has an SD card slot so I can quickly download my photos from my big Nikon.
- You can open it 180 degrees allowing it to lie completely flat (not sure why you need to do this).
It took some time to get used to Windows 8 with its tile-based interface, but once I got the hang of organizing my start screen I fell in love with it. Going back to my old computer makes me feel like going back in time.
with Windows 8 costs $1,399.99.