This post contains references to products from one or more of our advertisers. We may receive compensation when you click on links to those products. For an explanation of our Advertising Disclosure, visit this page.
Editor’s Note: Some of the offers below may have expired or are no longer available on our site.
We already knew that in 2018, American Express would be the exclusive issuer of the co-branded Hilton credit cards. What we didn’t know was if they were going to introduce two new rewards cards to make up for the two Citi Hilton cards that have been discontinued. Now it’s official, Amex is launching two new Hilton credit cards in January 2018, so we will once again have four different options to earn Hilton Honors points on every purchase.
In addition to adding two new cards to the Hilton Amex lineup, American Express is also upgrading its two existing Hilton credit cards.
Here are the details from the press release for each of the four brand-new Amex Hilton credit cards.
Hilton Honors American Express Card
The remaining key details of the card remain the same:
- Earn 7x Hilton Honors points on Hilton Portfolio Purchases
- 5x Hilton Honors points at U.S. restaurants, gas stations, and supermarkets
- 3x Hilton Honors points for eligible remaining purchases
- Receive complimentary Hilton Honors Gold status after $20,000 in annual card purchases
With more than 5,100 hotels around the globe, it can make this an even better recommendation as a secondary credit card. None of your rewards points will be eaten up by those pesky credit card fees that make other no annual fee travel rewards cards unattractive.
Hilton Honors American Express Ascend Card
If you’re an existing Surpass cardholder, your card will be automatically upgraded in 2018 when the new lineup launches. The new Amex Hilton Ascend will be more like the Citi Hilton Honors Reserve.
Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card
There’s no mention of what the sign-up bonus will be for the American Express Hilton Aspire card yet. One of the trends for travel rewards cards lately is to offer a “premium” airline or hotel rewards card that is similar to the Amex Platinum or Chase Sapphire Reserve, but, is more brand-specific in terms of rewards and benefits. Hilton will join the fray in 2018 with the Hilton Honors American Express Aspire Card.
This is another solid offering if you like the Platinum Card travel benefits and would rather earn Hilton Honors points for free hotel nights instead of the flexible Amex Membership Rewards that are most valuable for booking award flights.
The free Weekend Night Stay alone can come close if you stay at one of the more expensive properties since there are no redemption restrictions. You will also have 24/7 access to the American Express travel concierge.
Hilton Honors American Express Business Card
Annual Fee: $95 ()
If you have the option to apply for either the Ascend or the Hilton Honors American Express Business card, you should consider the second option as you have more opportunities to earn purchase rewards.
These are the benefits of the Amex Hilton Business Card:
- Welcome Offer: Earn 125,000 Hilton Honors Bonus Points with the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card after you spend $3,000 in eligible purchases in the first 3 months of Card Membership.
- Earn Hilton Honors Bonus Points for each dollar of eligible purchases on your Card: 12X at hotels and resorts in the Hilton portfolio, 6X on Select Business & Travel Purchases, 3X Everywhere Else. Terms & Limitations Apply.
- Enjoy complimentary Gold status with your Hilton Honors Business Card.
- Earn a Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend $15,000 in purchases on your Card in a calendar year.
- Earn another Weekend Night Reward from Hilton Honors after you spend an additional $45,000 in purchases on your Card in the same calendar year.
- Relax with 10 free airport lounge visits each year once enrolled in complimentary Priority Pass™ Select membership, which offers access to over 1,000 lounges in over 120 countries.
- Terms apply.
This can be a great option if you commonly stay at Hilton hotels for business travel.
What Happens To Your Existing Hilton Credit Card?
If you’re a current co-branded Hilton credit card owner, you might be wondering what will happen to your card. That answer depends on whether you own the Amex or Citi version.
Citi Hilton Credit Cards
If you currently own a Citi-issued Hilton credit card, it will be converted to the appropriate Amex version of the card in 2018.
Existing Amex Hilton Credit Cards
If you currently own an Amex Hilton card, it will upgrade to the new version in 2018.
Summary on the New Hilton Amex Credit Cards
American Express has definitely made the Hilton card lineup better. There truly is a Hilton credit card for every traveler. Whether you want a secondary rewards card or a primary card, you can’t go wrong with any of them. Now, you just have to wait until 2018 to apply!
For rates and fees of the Hilton Honors American Express Business Card, please click.
The comments on this page are not provided, reviewed, or otherwise approved by the bank advertiser. It is not the bank advertiser's responsibility to ensure all posts and/or questions are answered.